How to help avoid ACL Injuries:
Avoid High Risk Behavior:
- Don’t fully straighten your legs when you fall. Keep your knees flexed.
- Don’t try and get up until you have stopped sliding. When you are down, stay down.
- Don’t land on your hand. Keep your arms up and forward.
- Don’t jump unless you know where and how to land. Land on both skis and keep your knees flexed.
Routinely Use Correct Skiing Technique:
- Keep arms forward.
- Keep hips above knees.
- Maintain balance.
Recognize Potentially Dangerous Situations:
- Uphill arm back.
- Off balance to the rear.
- Hips below the knees.
- Uphill ski un-weighted.
- Weight oninside edge of downhill ski tail.
- Upper body generally facing downhill ski.
Respond Quickly and Effectively:
- Arms forward.
- Skis together.
- Hands over skis.
This information is taken from “Tips for Knee Friendly Skiing” Vermont Safety Research, 1996.